Fusilli with Italian Sausage in a Caciocavera Yogurt Sauce
“I like the idea that the fresh produce, meats and cheeses that I used in my recipe were grown or raised right here and are fresher than foods that would be traveling many days to my supermarket”. – Sarah Elkhoury
16 ounces Della Terra Fusilli pasta
½ lemon, juiced
1 ½ gallons water
8 ounces Lovera’s Caciocavera Aged Cheese
3 T salt
¼ cup plus 2 T Suan’s Scotch Bonnet Onion Preserves
1 pound Lavera’s Original Italian Sausage
3 T Scissortail Farms chives
- Bring the water to a boil in a large stock pot.
- Add salt and pasta and cook for approximately 8 minutes, stirring frequently.
- While pasta is cooking, remove sausage from its casing and add to a skillet to brown.
- Using a spatula, break the sausage into small pieces. Set aside. Grate the cheese, reserving 1 cup for garnish. Chop chives.
- Preheat broiler. In a large skillet, over low heat, combine the yogurt with 1 cup of pasta water and whisk until combined.
- Add the lemon juice, 2 tablespoons onion jam and the grated cheese. Stir until creamy. Do not allow sauce to boil to prevent separation.
- Spoon into individual pasta bowls, sprinkle with reserved cheese and place under broiler until cheese has melted.
- Dollop with onion jam and garnish with fresh chives.