Food, Facts & Fun
Oklahoma’s Best Cinnamon Rolls
- Prep Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Cook Time = 0hrs 0mins
Oklahoma’s Best Cinnamon Rolls: If you’re on the hunt for the very best cinnamon roll recipe, look no more. These rolls have a sinfully sweet filling that includes Oklahoma-grown pecans from Miller Pecan Co. in Afton. The surprise with these rolls is just how easy they are to make. No worries for those who don’t like working with yeast – these rolls start with a Shawnee Mills pizza crust mix, making them easy to knead, rise and roll.
Ingredients for dough 2 packages Shawnee Mills Pizza Mix ¼ cup sugar 1 cup hot water Pan (9-by-9-inch) 2 tablespoons Hiland Salted Butter 2 tablespoons sugar Pan (9-by-9-inch)
Ingredients for filling 1 stick Hiland Salted Butter, softened ½ cup sugar 2 ½ teaspoons cinnamon ½ cup Miller Pecans, finely chopped
Ingredients for glaze 2 tablespoons Hiland Salted Butter, melted 1 cup powdered sugar 3 to 4 tablespoons water
- 2 pkg Shawnee Mills Pizza Mix
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup hot water
- Pan (9-by-9-inch)
- 2 tbsp Hiland Salter Butter
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Pan (9-by-9-inch)
- 1 stick Hiland, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 cup Miller Pecans, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Hiland Salted Butter, melted
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3-4 tbsp water
Directions for dough:
1. In large mixing bowl combine the pizza mix, sugar and hot water. Stir, then knead until smooth.
Make a dough ball. Add a few drops of oil to the mixing bowl, and coat the ball by rolling it in the
pan. Cover with a damp cotton cloth. Allow to rise in a warm location until double in size (about
2. Grease pan with butter, and sprinkle with the sugar. Set aside.
Directions for filling:
3. In a small mixing bowl mash butter, and sugar together forming a lumpy paste. Add the
cinnamon and pecans (milled in food processor until fine), mixing to make a thick spread. Set
4. Place the dough mixture onto a lightly floured large cutting board. Roll out into a 15- by 9-inch
rectangle. Cover the surface of all but the top 2 inches with the filling using a small spatula.
Starting from the bottom, roll up the dough and pinch the top edge to seal. Cut the roll in half,
then half again, then into thirds. This will give you 12 even slices. Place in the pan, and allow to
set in a warm location for an additional 40 minutes, or until doubled in size
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Directions for Glaze:
6. Mix the butter, powdered sugar and vanilla, adding the warm water one tablespoon at a time
until you get the desired consistency. Top rolls with glaze while still warm.