Food, Facts & Fun
Chicken and Waffles
- Prep Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Cook Time = 0hrs 0mins
This classic Southern pairing is made easier with Fast Fixin’ fried chicken breasts. Waffles made with cornmeal, flour and buttermilk are perfectly savory with a little sweetness.
- 1 package Fast Fixin’ Chicken Fried Chicken Breasts or Chicken Breast Tenderloins
- 1 cup Shawnee Mills Yellow Cornmeal
- 1 cup Shawnee Mills All-Purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Braum’s buttermilk, well shaken
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons Braum’s Butter, melted
- 1/4 cup Griffin’s Organic Pancake Syrup
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ bunch Scissortail Farms Chives, sliced thinly
- Optional Garnishes:
- Griffin’s Organic Pancake Syrup
- ½ bunch Scissortail Farms chives, minced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
1. Cook chicken according to package directions.
2. In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Whisk together and set aside.
3. In a smaller bowl add buttermilk, eggs, butter and maple syrup. Whisk thoroughly to combine. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until just mixed. Stir in the cheddar cheese and chives.
4. To make the waffles, preheat the waffle iron. Lightly coat with vegetable spray if necessary. Scoop batter onto the center of the waffle iron. Close the lid and bake until browned and crisp, about 5-7 minutes. Place waffles on a baking sheet and keep warm in the oven while you continue cooking the rest of the batter.
5. To serve, stack 2-3 waffles on a plate, topped by 2-3 strips of chicken, pancake syrup, chives and cheddar cheese.