Food, Facts & Fun
Winter Chicken Soup
- Prep Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Cook Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Servings = 6
This healthy and hearty soup will warm you from the inside out.
- 3 tsp olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 serrano pepper, sliced thin
- 2 tbsp minced ginger
- 1 tbsp Suan's Scotch Bonnet Onion Preserves
- 1/2 tsp Daddy Hinkles Cumin and Oregano seasoning mix
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 2 Triple S Farms Sweet Potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 lbs chicken thighs or breasts
- 6 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup quinoa
1. In a large pot, heat olive oil over medium heat. To the hot oil, add the onion, garlic, serrano pepper, ginger, onion preserves and Daddy Hinkle's seasoning. Cook, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes or until onion is tender.
2. Add carrots and potatoes, stirring to coat with onion mixture. Add chicken to pot. Add chicken broth, and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer and cook 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until chicken is cooked through and potatoes are done.
3. Remove chicken from pot, and shred with two forks. Return to soup, and stir. Turn heat to low to keep warm.
4. In a small saucepan, cook 1/2 cup quinoa according to package directions. Place quinoa in bowls, and pour soup over the top for each serving.