Food, Facts & Fun
Apple Skillet Cake
- Prep Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Cook Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Servings = 8
This impressive dessert captures your favorite flavors of fall.
- 1 stick Hiland Butter
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tbsp Griffin's Original Syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 5 Granny Smith apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 cup Miller Pecan Co. Pecan Halves
- 1 cup Shawnee Mills Self-Rising Flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp apple pie spice
- 3 tbsp Hiland Butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup Hiland Sour Cream
1. Melt butter in 8- or 9-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Stir in 1/2 cup sugar, syrup and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Arrange apple slices and pecans over butter-sugar mixture. Turn heat down to medium-low while making cake batter. Remove several slices to garnish the top.
2. In a medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar and apple pie spice. Add melted butter, egg, milk and sour cream. Mix until just moistened.
3. Spread cake batter over remaining apples and pecans, gently spreading to cover. Add the reserved apples to garnish the top of the cake. Move to a preheated 375-degree oven, and bake 20 minutes or until cake is golden and slightly puffy. You can use a toothpick to check for doneness. Remove from oven, and let sit for 5 minutes. Serve with freshly whipped Hiland cream or Hiland vanilla ice cream.