Food, Facts & Fun
BBQ and Beer Basted Chicken
- Prep Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Cook Time = 0hrs 0mins
- Servings = 4
MIO makes it easy by starting the chicken in the oven and finishing it on the grill. Summer veggies including corn, peppers, squash and Oklahoma-grown sweet potatoes cook with the chicken for great flavor.
- 1 whole chicken, cut into 8 pieces (or about 2 1/2-3 pounds of your favorite chicken)
- 1 can Coop Ale Works Beer
- 1/3 cup Garden Club Apricot Preserves
- 1 tbsp Seikel's Oklahoma Gold Mustard
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp Head Country All Purpose Championship Seasoning
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup Head Country BBQ sauce
- 2 small Triple S Farms Sweet Potatoes, cut into 1/2
- 3 ears corn, cut into pieces
- 2 bell peppers, cut into pieces
- 2 zucchini squash, cut into 1/2
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk together beer, preserves, chili powder, Head Country seasoning, brown sugar and
barbecue sauce. Pour over the chicken, and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours,
turning to coat halfway through marinating time.
3. Place chicken on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes. Add the sweet
potatoes and return to oven for an additional 10 min.
4. Pour the marinade in a saucepan and boil. Reduce heat to simmer, and cook for at least 20
minutes, until marinade thickens and is reduced to about 1/2 cup.
5. Remove the chicken, flip over, and brush with the reduced marinade. Add corn, squash and
peppers to pan with chicken, and bake for 15 minutes.
6. Remove the chicken again, flip over again, brush with the reduced marinade, and bake for an
additional 10 minutes. The chicken should bake for a total of 40 minutes, or until it reaches an
internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Grilling option: For the last 10 minutes of baking time take it to the grill to impart the grilling flavors, impress your friends and know the chicken is safe and completely cooked through. This is a fail safe way of “grilling” chicken.